I recently saw a sign in a store that read 'Sorting Out Life One Load at a Time'. Isn't that the truth? With five people in our family, I spend a ridiculous amount of time in my laundry room letting my mind wander over the tomorrow's task list or a recent conversation with a friend while I sort, switch and fold laundry. However, for all the time I spend in there, it was the last room in my house that was painted, decorated, and organized.
Let's face it, no one wants to spend time in their laundry room but we really don't have a choice. So why not put some effort into making your laundry room a more efficient and pleasant place to be in? Here are 5 ideas to get you started.
1) Spice up your laundry room with color and pattern:
Your laundry room is one of the few rooms in your house where you can get away with something outside your normal color range and theme so have some fun with it! That may mean a fun eye-popping color scheme or something tranquil and serene. It's up to you. Whatever you choose, make sure your choices make you happy to enter the room.
2) Short on space? Here are three great space saving ideas to maximize your laundry room storage.
- Install a Pull Down Closet Rod like this one from Rev-A-Shelf. A pull down closet rod will give you space to hang clothes right out of the dryer and then easily folds out of your way when you don't need it.
- Add a counter above your washer and dryer. If you have a front loading washer and dryer, installing a counter over the top of your units will provide an ultra convenient folding space exactly where you need it.
- Utilize the space between your machines. There are storage shelves designed to fit perfectly between your washer and dryer. This is a great place to store laundry supplies that stays out of sight when not in use.
If you have the space, a custom designed island can feature pull-out laundry sorting bins, custom sized shelves designed to hold laundry baskets and a great laundry folding surface!
4) Add wall cabinets for storage.
Install wall mounted cabinets to store cleaning supplies. The laundry room is a perfect place to store all of your cleaning supplies. Cabinets keep them out of sight and away from little hands.
5) Designate spaces for everything!
Use bins and baskets to keep everything in its designated area. Clearly label or color code the baskets to make it easy for everyone in the family to keep the laundry room in tip top shape.
Closets For Life is a custom closet company that works with residential clients as well as designers, builders and architects to create innovative storage solutions for all organizational needs including laundry rooms, closets, offices, garages, pantries, wine cellars and Murphy beds. Closets For Life is a family owned and operated business.
For a free in-home consultation, contact Closets For Life by phone at 952-484-0416 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit our website at www.closetsforlife.com.
Closets For Life Aficionado